REQUIREMENTS TO JOIN THE HENRY SCHMITZ AMERICAN LEGION POST 683
IMPORTANT: EVERYONE MUST SUBMIT A COPY OF
DD 214 OR DISCHARGE.
Click on above logo WHY YOU SHOULD BELONG
Eligible veterans applying for first time membership must submit the following information to Post Adjutant, Ron Schmitz.
1. Complete American Legion Membership application by obtaining an application from the Legion - contact Shane Wagner at 618-559-5429.
Print two (2) completed copies. Keep one copy for your records and forward the other one plus a copy of your DD214 Discharge to Shane Wagner.
2. Per the Post Rules and Procedures for Admission, the prospective member must be recommended by two members of the post who are in good standing for at least five (5) years as follows:
- First recommendation at First meeting two Post members recommend the prospective member,
- A second recommendation must be make at the following meeting (prospective member may attend),
- Vote of attending members at the third meeting, simple majority rules.
3. Post Adjutant, Shane Wagner, forwards the application and dues to Department of Illinois. A temporary Legion card will be provided by the Adjutant, until the next cycle of cards are received from State Department.
1. Veterans applying for transfers from your current Post to our Post must submit the following:
a. Completed Member Data Form.
b. COPY OF DD214 OR DISCHARGE
c. COPY OF MEMBERSHIP CARD
2. Recommendation for transfer member must be made by a current post member in good standing, follow by a second recommendation and a vote of the membership at the third meeting.
3 If current year dues are not paid, a check for $35.00 or current fee, must be presented to the Post Adjutant.
MEMBERSHIP ELIGIBILTY in the American Legion is based on honorable service with the U. S. Armed Forces.
Because eligibility dates remain open, all members of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to join The American Legion at this time, until the date of the end of hostilities as determined by the government of the United States.
Must have served at least one day of active military duty and be honorably discharged or still serving honorably.